Raising the socialism bugaboo, a reader asked to be removed from my subscriber list after my last anti-Trump post.
I’m not a socialist. In fact, when I took the Pew Research Center’s political typology quiz, there were three political typologies to the left of mine, which was “Order and Opportunity Left.”
What bothered me more than being mischaracterized, however, were my feelings. The scorn I felt toward the unsubscriber (whom I know) made me feel bad about myself and prompted self-examination. That led to thinking about how I speak about Trump supporters in general — with condemnation, ridicule, “How could they?” disbelief.
In the pre-Trump era, politics was separate from character. Now we consider the other side bad people. Both sides do it. When I was calling for the Harris campaign, a Wisconsinite said, “I feel sorry for you. Democrats are bad people.” He’s not totally wrong; I don’t feel like a good person when I have disdain in my heart.
A few friends have Trump supporters in their families. They don’t talk politics. I wouldn’t bring up politics with a Trumper. It’s not my behavior I want to change. It’s my feelings.
I feel at odds with the self who listens to my clergy’s messages about loving one’s enemy. How do I respect, let alone love, someone who excuses belittling, cruelty, and bigotry?
Maybe a start is acknowledging my own failings. I can’t claim to have always treated everyone kindly. I’ve used self-serving justifications for unkindness.
I could spend more time with people who don’t agree with me, not necessarily to discuss politics but just to relate. Everyone I associate with thinks like me.
I could remind myself that something troubling shaped Trumpers’ views. Pitying them would be patronizing, but compassion is warranted.
To be clear, my values won’t change. I won’t stop condemning actions, but I’ll try to stop condemning people. Ordinary people, that is. A different standard applies to the pinnacle of power and influence.
Good message! JoAnn
ReplyDeleteWell stated, Marianne. Having Trump supporters both as friends and in my family I do not hate them or others for supporting Trump. I can even understand some of their viewpoints, concerns, and fears. I even share concerns about some of the far left, extreme views. There are a lot of Trump supporters I know that dislike many of the things he thinks, expresses, and does, but the fears of some far left views concern them more. So I get it. I learned trying to debate with many Trump supporters is a waste of time. Neither side will convince the other of their views, and both sides just dig in deeper with frustration. So I gave that up long ago. What I DO hate, however, are the haters... on BOTH sides. I do not think putting other people down for their views is a healthy thing for our democracy. And violence, jokes about violence, wishing for a politician would die, or ridiculing those after death seems barbaric. I did not cheer when Bin Laden was killed, or when OJ Simpson died. Their deaths provided closure on a bad experiences in life, and may have provided a sense of relief, but I am not going to celebrate anyones death. For me it's not about Republican or Democrat, or right or left. It's about right and wrong. I think Haters make things wrong and harder to fix or find a compromise which is what democracy is supposed to be about. But I will say that while I don't hate people who voted for Trump, I do think that his two presidencies has unleashed much of the ugly behavior, disrespect and violent attitudes currently in our society. Not that the feelings didn't exist before, but he tapped into and campaigned fiercely on those feelings, promoting hateful public behavior, and as a reaction fueled similar behavior in many with strong anti-Trump feelings. Fighting fire with fire. Now an on-going blaze exists. I think most people just long for a time that had more civilized, respectful standards. Sometimes it takes extremes for people to see the foundational problem and change for the better. That's what I'm hoping comes out of all this. Hard to see how that will work... but what else do we have to hope for?
ReplyDeleteThanks for such a thoughtful reply, Ken. I too hope that the pendulum will swing back -- not to the far left but to.a middle ground where most Americans feel comfortable.
DeleteVery good reply Ken, I too have friends that supported Trump, sometimes I can see how they and others became frustrated with the Democratic Party. At the same time, I get really tired of late
ReplyDeletenight comedians constantly making fun of Trump. Not that I side
with Trump, but there is nothing comical about what's going on,
enough already, It's not comic relief.
On the other hand Marianne, many people thanked me for passing
on your last newsletter. I don't think any of them were Socialists either.
Appreciate your passing it on, Sue, and reporting they thanked you. Good point about being tired of jokes about Trump.
ReplyDeleteI think it's important to note that there are Republicans who are not Trump supporters.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Al. Good point.
ReplyDelete