For years I’ve rarely shopped in physical stores except grocery and drug stores. But I’m annoyed enough with online shopping to think about going back to brick and mortar businesses.
Two months after I experienced a false tracking scam, another eBay purchase was addressed and delivered to the wrong location in my zip code, providing the fraudulent seller with a delivery receipt. To get a refund, I needed to contact the seller, wait for a response, and, when the seller didn’t admit guilt, obtain a USPS statement that the item was not delivered to me. It’s a hassle, especially for an inexpensive purchase, but I was angry enough to not write it off. If it were to happen again, however, I might feel embarrassed about bothering the post office once more.
It shouldn’t happen again soon because I intend to take a break from third-party vendors — independent businesses and individuals who sell directly to customers on sites like eBay, Amazon, Walmart, and Target. Not all third-party merchants are crooked, of course, but I don’t know how to identify those that are. The two that scammed me had better than 99% positive customer reviews from thousands of eBay sales over many years. Getting reviews must be a shady enterprise, too.
For now I’ll confine my online shopping to trusted retailers’ own merchandise, which can be identified by checking the product page for “sold by” or “sold and shipped by” the retailer. Scams are reportedly rare with big-name stores, which have known locations and contact information, strict security and inventory control, and an interest in protecting their reputations.
It will probably be harder to avoid shipping charges on small purchases from big-time retailers. Some offer free store pickup, which I can use with stores near me. (Unfortunately, the store most convenient for me, Target, is the object of a boycott for rolling back its DEI initiatives.)
Online shopping was supposed to be more convenient, but considering my recent hassles, it no longer seems so. Actual physical stores deserve a rebound. The selection and the deals aren’t as great, but I don’t have much I want to buy. My condo is furnished, my closet full.
Until this year I never encountered a dishonest merchant on eBay, which has only third-party vendors. I don’t know whether fraud has increased or I’ve had two unlucky coincidences in a short time. I feel for small sellers who are honest and hustling to make a living. It’s a shame to choose corporations over small businesses. I wish I knew how to separate the wheat from the chaff.
*****
AND ANOTHER SCAM
Lately it’s seemed that most of my time has been spent dealing with the repercussions of scams.
The message from a neighbor’s email was a Punchbowl invitation to “something special” on August 16. Signing in to my Google account was required to open it. I tried to sign in multiple times, but Google kept blocking me. As it should. The invitation was a scam.
Unfortunately, the scammers accessed my contact list. I didn’t suspect a scam until some friends asked whether I’d sent them an invitation. Readers, if you received the email, I hope you were more suspicious than I, but if you tried to open the invitation, please change your Google password immediately and turn on two-factor verification (found on the security and sign-in page).
MacBooks are supposedly protected from viruses, so I’m reasonably certain no malware was installed on my laptop.
A year ago I was duped by another fraud that gave the scammers access to my checking account. I changed all my passwords and hired a cybersecurity expert to monitor my system for a few months. I’m not sure what it’s going to take to make me more suspicious. I’m trying not to be ashamed or embarrassed; in another world, being trusting would be a nice quality.
Cybercrime is rampant, underreported and big business. I've been fooled though I practice the basics (reject unknown callers, emails from strangers, emails with dubious return addresses, "Don't turn off your computer!" warnings, texts from friends that are "off," i.e., "Did you hear the terrible news?") Scammers get sneakier every day. I don't condone violence yet root for Jason Statham when he takes on a malicious enterprise in "The Beekeeper" (2024). Attaboy, Jason!
ReplyDeleteThank you, faithful commenter and friend. Good to be reminded of the basics to look out for, too.
ReplyDeleteI get periodic scams claiming to be from Paypal, which i dont use. I forward them all to « spoof@paypal.com” and they always respond with thanks.
ReplyDeletethe scam I get constantly in my emails are from friends who have
ReplyDeletepassed on. They come with the title message (old photos and memories). I look at the email address and its always from some
overseas school, or a different email address all the time with my
decreased friends name on it. I must block these addresses at
least 4 times a week. Don't know how that happens.
These scams are EXHAUS
TING.